Thursday, September 3, 2009

Turtle Neck or Back or Something




"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." James B. Conant



But what happens when he has a pain in the neck? Turtles get to stay in their shells. Humans aren't so lucky.


My neck's been feeling better the last few days but I'm having more back pain lately, which may be due to my new obsession with beading. Poor posture perhaps? Probably.


I try. I do. But I don't always sit as straight as I should, and I'm working in several different locations, at my house and at my mom's when I'm "watching" my grandmother. We finally got her one of those call button I've-fallen-and-I-can't-get-up things. She's not thrilled but we fell better.


My increased pain is also probably due to a lack of sleep. I've been sleeping horribly. Trying to sleep with a snorer is challenging for the best of sleepers, for me, it's an impossibility. He's got a C-PAP (I think that's what it's called) but it doesn't seal quite right over his beard and so he's still snoring, or the darn thing shuts itself off, or he rolls over and suddenly it's like having an exhaust fan blowing in my ear.


So I'm sleeping at the 'rents for the last two days and tonight. It got to the point where I was near delirium. I finally said, "Look, I can "sleep" with you and go slowly crazy and be in pain and hate you because you keep me up, or, I can sleep in another room and actually sleep and be pleasant (ok, more pleasant) and in less pain and generally better to be around." Last night I had almost 10 hours and I felt great today. Tonight is going to be a different story.


I started some new PT exercises today and I'm sore now. I'm also supposed to be up early for a class tomorrow, that means I'll be panicking if I'm not falling asleep. Actually, I'm panicking now because I'm already counting the hours and realizing I won't have enough.


So basically, I'd better go to bed NOW and stop writing here.


No comments:

Post a Comment