Sunday, September 27, 2009

Land of Confusion


"Confusion is always the most honest response." Marty Indik
Today was spent trying to organize all the paperwork from my courses and figure out a master schedule of what is due when. It's taken all day and I'm still not done. I'm also trying to organize the online class I will be teaching.
When I accepted this assignment, I thought I'd be getting a course template. I'm an adjunct and the last time I taught an online course the Dean provided me with a model course as a guideline. Actually, she suggested that I used the course as is for one semester and then decide how I wanted to change it. That worded out well.
This time, no template. Or, I should say, not a template that's ready to use. So it's up to me to design and write the course. Ugh. I never would have taken the assignment if I had known that. But now, it's the only job I have, the only course I'm teaching and since I would like to eat and be able to pay my bills, I'm teaching it.
It's hard for me to organize now. I get distracted easily. In a recent conversation, I admitted that I feel like I have an insight into what people with ADD must feel like. With me, I at least have a "normal" to refer to, but with people who have disorders like this - this IS their normal. Their lives are just difficult. They don't know why. They don't know how to change it. They don't even know there is anything else. I don't know what's worse. Knowing what you used to be, or knowing only difficulty.
Thankfully, I have good days and bad days. There are times, usually when I'm relaxed and in a good mood and have eaten well and gotten enough sleep (yeah, how often does that happen?), that I approach my pre-accident level of information processing. At other times, anything above silence is too much. When that happens, I just shut down. I can't talk, I can't think, I can't type, all I do is sit and stare.
I've been doing OK with most of the reading for classes. At least I think I have. There is still a lot that I don't retain if I'm tired or distracted. Rereading has become my new pastime. There have been times where I've reread an entire chapter and thought it was "new" until I got to the end and found a bit of highlighting or a margin note from the first time I read it. Disheartening? You bet.
Hope springs eternal that I will remember all the important bits and, thankfully, I don't think any of my classes will have fact based tests. I get the ideas. I just can't remember the names of the people who came up with the ideas.
Right, back to building my course with an eye toward clarity and economy of words.

No comments:

Post a Comment